Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Meet Kenna McKinnon

Kenna McKinnon
Author of SpaceHive

Many people are involved in my progress from a five-year-old girl who rhymed "stars" with "Mars" to the 67-year-old author of a published novel.

I give credit for my recent success to Imajin Books and Cheryl Tardif in particular, that quintessential writer's editor, publisher and mentor. Cheryl took me under her pinions and taught me to hone the technicalities of creating an engaging novel.

My writing career probably began for sure from 1971-1975, the years I spent at the University of Alberta under some truly astonishing professors. Although I've only recently been published during the past 2 ½ years, I've spent my life writing. Writing is my passion. As a child, my only ambition was to be a "journalist" although I wasn’t sure what that meant. Poetry was my first love. An anthology of poetry has been published by Authors for a Cause this summer. An early reader's chapter book, BENJAMIN & RUMBLECHUM, co-authored with a friend, has been accepted by a publisher in California.

Together my parents instilled in me a work ethic and determination to succeed despite all odds. I say this because in 1978 I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia after first displaying symptoms in 1975, my graduating year from the University of Alberta. I've battled abuse, alcohol dependence, mental illness including delusions, obsessions and compulsions over a period of almost 40 years. My education and experience taught me to think and to feel and to never give up.

In both ebook and trade paperback formats, SPACEHIVE will appeal to science fiction/fantasy readers of all ages, with a special nod to middle readers/young adults who like Pixar-like action and, more especially, the appeal of adventure and youth.

Hope you enjoy SPACEHIVE. It was fun to write.

1 comment:

  1. What a moving biography, Kenna. Congratulations on the publication of SPACEHIVE. Us late bloomers are the best writers in the world because we have had so many experiences, met so many people, and are beginning to become so very wise.

    ReplyDelete